Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Shigeo Fukuda: what a guy

                                                                    Pictured above: Bro
So I guess I'll get this blog started off by talking about my favorite graphic artist, Shigeo Fukuda. This guy's awesome!
I discovered Mr. Fukuda when doing a project for my earlier design class. We had to write brief bios about 50 or so designers/design techniques, with 5 of them being our own choices. I made a few google searches for the top designers in the world and his name came up more than a couple times, so I googled him and I discovered the wonderful simplicity and complexity of Shigeo.

He was not a graphic designer as much as he was a graphic ARTIST. Much of his work was not advertisements for products, but advertisements for peace.



Perhaps his most impact-full piece is "Victory 1945." A bullet flying into the barrel of a gun; a statement on the absurdity of war. The only real victory can come about when the bullets are left in the barrels.
This is one of my favorite designs due to the sheer simplicity of the design itself but the statement speaks volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment